Live-in Care for Seniors in Flemington, NJ – 3 Great Tips for Finding the Right Caregiver for Your Elderly Loved One’s Needs
After a lot of back-and-forth conversations with your brother and sister, you all finally came to consensus that your aging father needs a live-in caregiver. Choosing live-in care for seniors is not always an easy decision to make for family members, and while you believe this is what’s best for him, it’s important to make sure that he is okay with this decision.
First and foremost, your father (even though he may require assistance throughout the day and even during the overnight hours) is still an independent person and has every right to make decisions about the care he receives. If he doesn’t want to hire a live-in caregiver, you can’t force him to accept help.
However, more often than not people who have numerous challenges in their life can acknowledge the fact that assistance is necessary. In that case, the next step is to hire the right caregiver for him. Below are a few tips that can help you get started on the process.
1. Hire through a home care agency. You may think that hiring through an agency is going to cost more than hiring somebody independently (meaning somebody you find on your own through a classified advertisement or other situation). In truth, you may actually save money by hiring through an agency. Most importantly, the person will have been screened, trained, bonded and insured.
2. Understand your father’s needs and wants. You might have a pretty good idea about his requirements, but what about the things he wants? It’s easy to overlook these seemingly simple things, but they can make a big difference in choosing the right caregiver.
Sit down and talk to your father about what he expects from this individual. We prefer a male caregiver or female want? Would you like somebody younger or older? Will he require a great deal of physical assistance? If so, then a stronger, healthier male caregiver may be more suited suited for him.
3. Meet with different potential caregivers. When he gets an opportunity to sit down and meet with potential candidates, it will get an idea of their personality. That is one of the best ways to determine whether or not they will get along well with him. Because this person is going to be moving into your father’s house, their personality can make a significant impact on how well they work together.
Following these tips should help you and your father choose the right caregiver for him.
New Jersey 24-7 Home Care counselors at Comfort Keepers are available to talk with you about your senior care needs including how to reduce caregiver stress while providing better, affordable care. We are an elder care agency providing home care in Flemington, NJ, and the surrounding areas. For more information about senior care call us at (908) 806-2220 or (877) 806-2220.
Comfort Keepers of Flemington, New Jersey, has a team of eight support staff who will be your primary contacts and your advocates.
Nancy Hmieleski, R.N., C., B.S, is the Director of Nursing and supervises the Certified Home Health Aides (CHHA) that work out of the Comfort Keepers Flemington office. Pat Corlett, RN, is the Case Manager.
General Manager Rebecca Tenore, Client Care Coordinators; Suzanne M. White, Kelly Balodis, Christine Lehr, along with Office Assistant, Nancy Russell, are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days per year to answer your questions. You will hear a friendly voice no matter when you call.
Latest posts by Marc Jeffries (see all)
- Mom Woke Up Last Night to Find a ‘Stranger’ in Her Bed - February 26, 2018
- VA Benefits Can Be an Asset to Qualifying Veterans Who Need Home Care Support - January 22, 2018
- Relying on Neighbors to Keep Seniors Safer at Home - December 22, 2017